When do I qualify for benefits?

If you consistently work 20 or more hours per week, you qualify for medical, dental, vision, life, short term disability and long term disability benefits on the first day of the month following either date of hire or new month in which the change took place. For retirement benefits, it is first of the month following 6 months of employment to all employees working 20 or more hours consistently each week. That waiting period is waived for new hires transferring from the University of Washington or any other 501(c)3 organization.


Can I make changes throughout the year to my benefits?

For health benefits, only if you have a life changing event (marriage, birth, etc.). Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for further information and correct forms. Generally you make changes to your health benefits during open enrollment. A benefits fair along with information and forms takes place in October or November of each year. Typically an employee has up to 30 days to decide what benefits they would like for the coming year. All benefits start on January 1 and end December 31.


For retirement, you may change your monthly contributions during the year provided you fill out the form and turn it in to Human Resources. Plan changes become effective the first of the next month following when you signed the paperwork. For example, if you ask to increase your retirement contribution and sign it 6/20/2012, it will become effective 7/1/2012.


What if my address changes, I get a new phone number, or I change my last name?

Contact Human Resources via email as soon as possible. Addresses and phone numbers can be easily updated, but a name change requires documentation and SIBCR HR will help you with that process.


May I use sick leave to go to a doctor appointment?

Yes, you may use your sick leave to go to the doctor or dentist, or to take a family member to their appointment. You may also use your annual leave (vacation) if you do not have enough sick leave. If you are sick for more than three (3) consecutive days, SIBCR may require a doctor’s note to release you back to work. Be sure to schedule your appointments in coordination with your department and/or supervisor.


Do I have to notify you if I am leaving SIBCR?

Yes! Because you are our employee on SIBCR payroll, we will need your letter of resignation for your personnel file. Also, an exit interview is conducted on or near your last day of employment. This interview covers unemployment, COBRA benefits and retirement (if applicable). Contact SIBCR HR as soon as possible if you plan on separating from employment.


Do I have to notify SIBCR to go out on leave?

Yes! Especially if you qualify for FMLA or any other type of protected leave. Contact HR as soon as possible to help you through the credentialing process.


Do I have to notify SIBCR if I am taking an extended vacation or leave without pay?

Yes! Since you are paid by SIBCR, we need to know (and approve) your extensive absence. If you plan on taking more than two weeks of vacation at a time, contact SIBCR HR because certain rules apply. It will be important to have your time sheet filled out and signed in advance if your leave runs concurrently with payroll.


Contact This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. for additional questions and information.


Back to: HR Home