SIBCR grant administrators assist VA PIs in developing and submitting research proposals. Spo@sibcr.org can assist if you do not know the specific grant administrator to contact. SIBCR sets a series of deadlines for various internal and external components to ensure sufficient time to review and obtain required approvals.
If a proposal involves collaboration with other organizations and a subaward may be required, please contact SIBCR at least 45 business days prior to the funder’s due date. Full sign-off from consortium institutions is required prior to submission. This process can take up to 4 weeks depending on the institution. This includes the University of Washington.
Please note that SIBCR will need to review detailed budgets and budget justifications for all proposals and subawards, including for NIH modular grant applications.
Here is an outline of SIBCR’s filing timeline:
45 BUSINESS DAYS PRIOR TO DUE DATE
Contact SIBCR grant administrator if your proposal includes a subaward at another institution. Full sign-off from consortium institutions is required prior to submission. This process can take up to 4 weeks depending on the institution.
Other components that can add complexity to a proposal and should be discussed as early as possible are foreign collaborations, large single-item purchases (over $10,000), studies that are ambiguous as to whether they meet the NIH’s definition of a clinical trial (https://grants.nih.gov/ct-decision/index.htm), and any study that might require an SIRB plan (https://www.research.va.gov/programs/orppe/single_irb.cfm). These components should be discussed with SIBCR as early as possible.
20 BUSINESS DAYS PRIOR TO DUE DATE
Drafts of the administrative portion of application to the appropriate grant administrator including:
- Abstract/project summary
- Detailed budget with narrative justification
- List of all personnel with their employing institution, with eRA Commons IDs if known (NIH requires for all Senior/Key Personnel now)
- Biosketches for all key personnel/consultants
- Facilities & Resources page
- PI-signed Grant Review Form (internal document)
- SIRB plan confirmed N/A or addressed
5 BUSINESS DAYS PRIOR TO DUE DATE
- Final draft of proposal for review
- Fully signed Grant Review Form (internal document)
- Service Line letter(s) and other documents addressing VA effort if needed (internal documents)
- Final versions of the administrative portions of the application
- Final draft of all proposal components, for review
- Final Biosketchs for all collaborators with eRA Commons IDs